First day of class
Bite Status: I didnÂt get many at night, but got a few during the day I
think and I somehow got bitten on the bottom of my left pinky toe while
watching TV/using my computer!!! HowÂd the mosquito get to that?? Quite
impressive but a little painful to walk on now!
First day of school!! :) I decided to walk to class for the exercise, but
I arrived drenched in sweat (but by 8am 10 mins before class starts)! It
was SOOooo gross! I tried to go to the bathroom to clean up a bit but
there was no paper towels and the hand dryer wasnÂt working!! And it
didnÂt really help anyway cuz my shirt was visibly wet. There was no help
for it. Ick! Ah well.
So I went to find my classroom. But the class schedule posted on the door
didnÂt match the class I was supposed to be in! So I asked some students
who were already sitting in there what class they were waiting for, but
they must not have understood each other cuz I assumed they confirmed the
schedule on the door and I was at the wrong class! I didnÂt know what to
do. So I went to the main office to see if the classroom changed, but I
found out that the lady who could help me wouldnÂt be in until 8:30! Sigh.
So I waited in the nice A/C and dried off. :) I met a girl named Cynthia
who was also waiting and discovered sheÂs also from CA but from all over.
Orange County, Lake Tahoe, Santa Cruz, etc. SheÂs the one who told me that
I shouldnÂt accept less than $600NT/hr for tutoring. Anyhow, I
finally got a chance to ask about my classroom and discovered that the
schedule posted on the door were from last quarter!!! So thatÂs how I
ended up being 20 mins late for class! What a great first impression.
Apparently, the class IÂve been assigned to is actually a level 3 class.
ItÂs the second book of the series, but IÂm starting at lesson 17 (more
than half way through). I donÂt feel so bad about my test anymore. :) I
think the material in the class is ok, maybe a little easy, but thereÂs
LOTS of vocab I donÂt know. But I think my speaking and understanding
level is a bit higher than the other students in the class cuz IÂm an ABC.
It was cool though. The teacher seems good and is pretty nice.
After class, walked around a bit with my parents and had lunch when we
decided that it was time for them to go and I convinced them that I could
take care of myself (even though IÂm not totally sure of it myself IÂve
gotta start sometime!). ItÂs been such a blessing having them here to help
me adjust, but it also makes me feel like a big baby and slightly
embarassed to be the only one bringing my parents with me everywhere.
I went to the A/CÂd library to wait until the 2pm class. I looked at the
English books there, but theyÂre all sooooooo old! At 2pm I checked out
the level 5 class taught by Gao lao shi (the teacher who gave me my prelim
oral exam and allowed me to sit in on her class). I really liked my
classmates! They are so friendly. But their level is way higher than mine!
IÂd really have to struggle I think. So I don't think I want to stick with
that class.
Afterwards, I got home around 4:30pm, got my parents to help me finish up
last minute unpacking stuff and then saw them off to the train station (by
that time it was like 8pm). Then, I came back to my new home and it felt
SOOOOOoooooo lonely!! :( I talked to Jennifer (my dadÂs friendÂs daughter
who just completed a year at ShiDa and is going home and giving her tutees
to me) for a while, watched Phoenix (for some reason Meteor Garden 2
hasnÂt been aired all week!! I hope I didnÂt miss the ending or
something!) Then I went online. And omg!! ModemÂs are SOOOOoooooo slow!!
And itÂs soooo flaky! It takes forever to sign in to yahoo mail!! I
couldnÂt get faster than like 20kps connection! I donÂt think I can
survive like this! IÂll either have to pay for DSL ($800NT/month) or pay
for access to the computer center at school ($300NT/quarter). Hrm what to
do what to do? The computer center has A/C, so thatÂs a big plus. And I
can print stuff there too. But DSL at home would be SOOoooo convenient.
HrmÂ
think and I somehow got bitten on the bottom of my left pinky toe while
watching TV/using my computer!!! HowÂd the mosquito get to that?? Quite
impressive but a little painful to walk on now!
First day of school!! :) I decided to walk to class for the exercise, but
I arrived drenched in sweat (but by 8am 10 mins before class starts)! It
was SOOooo gross! I tried to go to the bathroom to clean up a bit but
there was no paper towels and the hand dryer wasnÂt working!! And it
didnÂt really help anyway cuz my shirt was visibly wet. There was no help
for it. Ick! Ah well.
So I went to find my classroom. But the class schedule posted on the door
didnÂt match the class I was supposed to be in! So I asked some students
who were already sitting in there what class they were waiting for, but
they must not have understood each other cuz I assumed they confirmed the
schedule on the door and I was at the wrong class! I didnÂt know what to
do. So I went to the main office to see if the classroom changed, but I
found out that the lady who could help me wouldnÂt be in until 8:30! Sigh.
So I waited in the nice A/C and dried off. :) I met a girl named Cynthia
who was also waiting and discovered sheÂs also from CA but from all over.
Orange County, Lake Tahoe, Santa Cruz, etc. SheÂs the one who told me that
I shouldnÂt accept less than $600NT/hr for tutoring.
finally got a chance to ask about my classroom and discovered that the
schedule posted on the door were from last quarter!!! So thatÂs how I
ended up being 20 mins late for class! What a great first impression.
Apparently, the class IÂve been assigned to is actually a level 3 class.
ItÂs the second book of the series, but IÂm starting at lesson 17 (more
than half way through). I donÂt feel so bad about my test anymore. :) I
think the material in the class is ok, maybe a little easy, but thereÂs
LOTS of vocab I donÂt know. But I think my speaking and understanding
level is a bit higher than the other students in the class cuz IÂm an ABC.
It was cool though. The teacher seems good and is pretty nice.
After class, walked around a bit with my parents and had lunch when we
decided that it was time for them to go and I convinced them that I could
take care of myself (even though IÂm not totally sure of it myself IÂve
gotta start sometime!). ItÂs been such a blessing having them here to help
me adjust, but it also makes me feel like a big baby and slightly
embarassed to be the only one bringing my parents with me everywhere.
I went to the A/CÂd library to wait until the 2pm class. I looked at the
English books there, but theyÂre all sooooooo old! At 2pm I checked out
the level 5 class taught by Gao lao shi (the teacher who gave me my prelim
oral exam and allowed me to sit in on her class). I really liked my
classmates! They are so friendly. But their level is way higher than mine!
IÂd really have to struggle I think. So I don't think I want to stick with
that class.
Afterwards, I got home around 4:30pm, got my parents to help me finish up
last minute unpacking stuff and then saw them off to the train station (by
that time it was like 8pm). Then, I came back to my new home and it felt
SOOOOOoooooo lonely!! :( I talked to Jennifer (my dadÂs friendÂs daughter
who just completed a year at ShiDa and is going home and giving her tutees
to me) for a while, watched Phoenix (for some reason Meteor Garden 2
hasnÂt been aired all week!! I hope I didnÂt miss the ending or
something!) Then I went online. And omg!! ModemÂs are SOOOOoooooo slow!!
And itÂs soooo flaky! It takes forever to sign in to yahoo mail!! I
couldnÂt get faster than like 20kps connection! I donÂt think I can
survive like this! IÂll either have to pay for DSL ($800NT/month) or pay
for access to the computer center at school ($300NT/quarter). Hrm what to
do what to do? The computer center has A/C, so thatÂs a big plus. And I
can print stuff there too. But DSL at home would be SOOoooo convenient.
HrmÂ

<< Home