the old...Journey with Me...

Sunday, August 29, 2004

TaiChung continued...

Bite Status: only 1 new one...i think! yay

For breakfast I had a 飯糰 (fan tuan...i'm guessing...) which is a ball of rice stuffed with meat, chinese doughnut, dried radish, etc. It used to be really good...my sibs and i love it, but I think the person making it has changed and it's not as good anymore. :(

Later on, we went to Carrefour (i think it's a British chain...kinda like Costco but in normal-sized quantities) to look for a side backpack and flip flops. But I wasn't able to find any like the ones I have! In fact, I haven't seen any flip-flops like in the states for sale anywhere. People here don't really wear them out i guess. We bought a lot of food for the Ghost Festival and my parents needed to offer foods to our ancestors. We got 8 coconuts cuz they were cheap ($19NT)!!!!! and the juice was SOOOOoooo good! We got lots of bread too and some egg custards (but these were bad! the one's I get in SF are soooo much better!). We walked there and back (1+ hr total) with all that stuff (8 coconuts plus other food) and didn't get back till nearly 2pm! and we'd left at 9am (with a stop at the library to check email of course )!

I had to eat SOOooo much every meal cuz we don't have a fridge and so we couldn't store any leftovers. Ack! My mom had bought 2 火龍果 (huo long guo) which is about the size of a mango back home (they're huge here) and the skin is reddish green (kinda like fire?) and its' sorta got folds/leaves on the skin that's sorta artichoke-ish?...the whole thing sorta looks like fire...hence the name. Anyhow, my parents don't really like it. They only got it for me to try so I ended up eating SO much of it and it's not very good. It's mostly tasteless and the middle kinda tastes like radish with some sweetness. The meat's white (or sometimes red) with lots of little black seeds. Wish i'd taken a pic! It was basically the rice of my meal.

Afterwards, I was so stuffed I took a 2 hr nap. :) It was a little tough though cuz some store near the apartment had hired a rock band to play at their grand opening (first time i'd ever heard of that before!) and they played from 3pm to 7pm!!! I'm not sure if they were any good though. All I really heard was the drums from where I was. And sometimes girls screaming. heh

Then I went downstairs to ask my cousin for advice on cell phones and he helped me get one online (sorta like ebay)! About $50USD Motorola C350 i think...has color. and the warranty's till 5/2005. Shouldn't be too bad and for the price, i'm satisfied. I should get it within the week. Yay!

Ick! Ants are everywhere here. Even on my notebook as I write!!
Tomorrow's a full day! Gotta take care of some business in TaiChung and then bus back to Taipei, check my test score & class placement, open a bank account, move into my room and settle in (unpack a little, get shampoo/cond, detergent, etc). I think that'll be the last day my parents are with me. Then Tues is orientation and Wed is the first day of class!!!