Busy weekend!
Friday went to GongGuan Nightmarket (公館夜市)with my parents. Saw really cute shoes there, but not in my size. :( Met a classmate on the bus home and turns out he lives really close by! Got home late though so only caught one of my soap operas! :(
Saturday went to 九份(JiuFen) with Karen (my sister's friend) and her small group. I woke up in the morning and saw my parents off (they insisted I go and not stay to hang out with them) and then walked over to meet up with her. We rode in a mini cooper on the way up...it was soooo cute! :) I took a picture of it. hee hee The view from 九份 is beautiful! It's right next to the Pacific I think...Anyhow, we went to one of the small group member's homes there and it's like a mansion!! 3 stories with a swimming pool out back and a GREAT view of the ocean! We had lunch there, which was like hot pot and i think japanese sukiyaki?...it's a hot pot with like soy sauce (not soup) and you cook meat in it...and then dip the meat in raw egg and eat it. i forget what it's called though. but quite good! i happened to be sitting right in front of it...so i ate a lot of it! :) hee hee
After a very filling meal, we played games for a while. There was one where everyone wrote down a fact about themselves that no one else in the room knew and we all guessed who wrote what. The other one's like a grilling game! I don't think i'll explain it, cuz i don't wanna give you all ideas! heh But it was fun and afterwards, we hiked up a bunch of stairs to get to the main road of 九份 where there are lots of shops and lots of people too! It sorta reminded me of Europe with the narrow alleys full of brightly lit shops. Quite quaint! There were some vendors selling 花生捲 (huasheng juan). It's a peanut wrap that had sweetened peanut powder wrapped in a spring roll type wrapper with ice cream and cilantro! Very odd mix!! But several people insisted it's really good so i had one. It was ok...very odd. :) They're also known for their 芋圓 (yuyuan)there (taro rice balls?) so we had to have that. After that, I was totally stuffed. No room for dinner! We went back and since our driver had left early, we went back with Candy (who's family owns the house) & Terry (her bf). Their English is pretty good, so it was a fun ride back. :)
Afterwards, I went to Karen's and watched Runaway Jury with her & her sisters and some of their friends. Faith & Grace (Karen's sisters) had lots of nail polish supplies and I'd already seen the movie, so I did my toe nails! Hee hee...they have especially thin brushes for drawing pics and stuff, so i have little flowers on my toes now. fun fun! I didn't leave till 11:30! The public transportation shuts down around 11ish I think (from what I hear)...and I'm too cheap to get a cab, so I walked home. But I must say walking home around midnight's a little creepy...
Sunday I woke up REALLY late (11:30am!) and mga got me out of bed cuz she said they were having a bbq for lunch. I thought that meant just mgau and maybe one of their kids' families. So I quickly changed into whatever and went downstairs. Turns out it was the entire family!!! 7 out of 8 of the grandkids (one's in the U.S. studying) and 5 of the adults came! Heh...Ah well. Too late to change. I stuck it out and ate lots of food...but felt really awkward. I played some games with the younger kids (high schoolers)...big 2 and some other card games. And apparently there always has to be some sort of punishment for the losers. The first round was to do sit-ups, push-ups, etc for however many points you accumulated. That was too tiring, so we changed it to like dares (they called it Da MaoXian). One girl had to go to 7-11 and ask if she could microwave her ice cream (they have microwaves & frozen dinners at 7-11's here. so very convenient!)...I had to go in and ask to borrow their phone in English. The clerk's didn't play along though...they pretty much ignored us. hee hee Apparently, these kinds of dares are very normal in Taiwan, so they're used to it. But I felt so old with the young kids. Haha...
Today I didn't wake up till 8:30am!!!!!! AUGH!!!! I missed class. But I still came cuz I was meeting up with some people for lunch. Heh. Tomorrow's 中秋節 (mid-autumn festival) so there's no school! Gotta plan how to spend my vacation! :) Sleeping in's a must. Yippee! hee hee
Saturday went to 九份(JiuFen) with Karen (my sister's friend) and her small group. I woke up in the morning and saw my parents off (they insisted I go and not stay to hang out with them) and then walked over to meet up with her. We rode in a mini cooper on the way up...it was soooo cute! :) I took a picture of it. hee hee The view from 九份 is beautiful! It's right next to the Pacific I think...Anyhow, we went to one of the small group member's homes there and it's like a mansion!! 3 stories with a swimming pool out back and a GREAT view of the ocean! We had lunch there, which was like hot pot and i think japanese sukiyaki?...it's a hot pot with like soy sauce (not soup) and you cook meat in it...and then dip the meat in raw egg and eat it. i forget what it's called though. but quite good! i happened to be sitting right in front of it...so i ate a lot of it! :) hee hee
After a very filling meal, we played games for a while. There was one where everyone wrote down a fact about themselves that no one else in the room knew and we all guessed who wrote what. The other one's like a grilling game! I don't think i'll explain it, cuz i don't wanna give you all ideas! heh But it was fun and afterwards, we hiked up a bunch of stairs to get to the main road of 九份 where there are lots of shops and lots of people too! It sorta reminded me of Europe with the narrow alleys full of brightly lit shops. Quite quaint! There were some vendors selling 花生捲 (huasheng juan). It's a peanut wrap that had sweetened peanut powder wrapped in a spring roll type wrapper with ice cream and cilantro! Very odd mix!! But several people insisted it's really good so i had one. It was ok...very odd. :) They're also known for their 芋圓 (yuyuan)there (taro rice balls?) so we had to have that. After that, I was totally stuffed. No room for dinner! We went back and since our driver had left early, we went back with Candy (who's family owns the house) & Terry (her bf). Their English is pretty good, so it was a fun ride back. :)
Afterwards, I went to Karen's and watched Runaway Jury with her & her sisters and some of their friends. Faith & Grace (Karen's sisters) had lots of nail polish supplies and I'd already seen the movie, so I did my toe nails! Hee hee...they have especially thin brushes for drawing pics and stuff, so i have little flowers on my toes now. fun fun! I didn't leave till 11:30! The public transportation shuts down around 11ish I think (from what I hear)...and I'm too cheap to get a cab, so I walked home. But I must say walking home around midnight's a little creepy...
Sunday I woke up REALLY late (11:30am!) and mga got me out of bed cuz she said they were having a bbq for lunch. I thought that meant just mgau and maybe one of their kids' families. So I quickly changed into whatever and went downstairs. Turns out it was the entire family!!! 7 out of 8 of the grandkids (one's in the U.S. studying) and 5 of the adults came! Heh...Ah well. Too late to change. I stuck it out and ate lots of food...but felt really awkward. I played some games with the younger kids (high schoolers)...big 2 and some other card games. And apparently there always has to be some sort of punishment for the losers. The first round was to do sit-ups, push-ups, etc for however many points you accumulated. That was too tiring, so we changed it to like dares (they called it Da MaoXian). One girl had to go to 7-11 and ask if she could microwave her ice cream (they have microwaves & frozen dinners at 7-11's here. so very convenient!)...I had to go in and ask to borrow their phone in English. The clerk's didn't play along though...they pretty much ignored us. hee hee Apparently, these kinds of dares are very normal in Taiwan, so they're used to it. But I felt so old with the young kids. Haha...
Today I didn't wake up till 8:30am!!!!!! AUGH!!!! I missed class

<< Home