the old...Journey with Me...

Thursday, September 30, 2004

士林夜市

What a great day! Mimi (my classmate, from now on she's MimiT, for Tan) and I went to the ShiLin Night Market 士林夜市) last night. It's probably the biggest/most popular one in Taipei...at least from what I hear. It WAS big! There were tons of food and stores. Especially shoe stores! There's one food vendor that's especially popular for fried chicken filet...it's HUGE and just $40NT and we got huge cups of PMT for just $25NT (normal price, but usually much smaller cup). I tried this one called 多多綠茶 which is basically green tea with YangLeDuo (sp?). It's pretty good! We also had 胡椒餅 (black pepper pancake?) that's a bread that's pan fried with meat stuffed inside. Quite good and supposedly one of Taiwan's specialties (特色).

Someone suggested we go to WuFenPu for clothes cuz that's like a wholesale place that's way way cheaper. But you can't try on stuff there. And there aren't any returns or exchanges. But I definitely intend on going soon!! :)

Let's see...what else? Oh yeah! we went to interview with an agent for tutoring jobs...and it was soooo weird. Like the lady had this really WEIRD place...with all these chinese Buddhist statues/figures all over the place, and her husband kept trying to talk to us about weird stuff (probably cuz he was old and just wanted to talk or something) and she would just cackle (yes, cackle). Very very weird. So glad MimiT & I went together!! Her apartment was located in a really weird area of Taipei too. Like the people looked at us strangely...as if it's stuck in olden times. Seriously. No modernization at all. All the stores are Chinese, no fast food chains, coffee houses. Totally different from the other areas of Taipei I've been to! And all the people there were OLD. Sooo weird. Like we were in the Twilight Zone or something! And when we left, we discovered we weren't at the same place as we'd entered (different entrance/exit)...so it just heightened our weirded out feeling! Whew...hope I never have to go back there again!